Saturday, January 2, 2016

Why SOMA

The location of medical school has been chosen, deposits have been placed, and now apartment searches are beginning!

Why I chose A.T. Still University School of Medicine in Arizona 

There were a few reasons:

1. I felt at home and comfortable at the interview.  I could be a dork and still have friends. I absolutely loved the group of people I interviewed with. 
2. The 1:3 set up of the curriculum. 1 year in a classroom and the other 3 in clinic- yes please sign me up.🙋🏻
3. I like the location of the school- it's ten minutes from my grandmas house
4. I like the idea of the Community Health Centers- they have an option where I can spend 2 of the 3 CHC years in my hometown learning from docs I went to growing up.  
5. This also gives me a foot in the door to come back to my hometown and actually work someday 
6. It's close to home- C and I intend on having kids while in school so it'll be easier for him to raise our kiddos with family near by. 
7. They said yes! 
8. I can get federal student loans.
9. They have a reputable program. 

The past few years have been full of a specific timeline of things to do: GPA, shadowing, community service, letters of recommendation, MCAT, primary applications, secondary applications, interviews, and a hopeful someday acceptance.

To say that I'm at the end of that timeline and beginning a new timeline is the best feeling.

No comments:

Post a Comment